#BookChat is a feature on my blog where I make discussion posts on anything book-related. So, let’s chat!
As book lovers, we all have our own little reading habits and bookish quirks. These habits may have started in childhood and stayed with us as we’ve grown. Or maybe they’re brand new habits that you’ve recently just discovered. Once I got into book blogging, I’ve noticed how much I’ve changed as a reader and unearthed some bookish quirks I’ve either attained or realized I’ve always had.
- I was an extremely picky reader. As a child, I was very selective of my books. At this age, big books (like the Harry Potter series) intimidated me thus I was more prone to read slimmer books. I didn’t read much as a kid because many of the books I picked up failed to interest me. The constant disappointment led me to not pick books for pleasure for the rest of my child and teen years.
- I rarely went into bookstores. I barely read, so why go to bookstores?
- When in bookstores, I walk straight to the manga section. No one really recommended me books, so I was really lost on where to start reading. A majority of books I’ve tried to read didn’t interest me at all. Because of unfavorable past reading experiences, I found that I really enjoyed reading manga. During my teen years, manga was the only thing I read (with the exception of required school reading).
- I didn’t care how I handled books. I did try to be careful with my books, but sometimes I still snacked while reading. If I did damage a book I could just shrug it off.
- I hated reading paperback books where I could easily break the spine. Self-explanatory. I hate cracked spines.
- I’m still an extremely picky reader, but I now give books a chance. I’m still selective of what I want to read, but I’ve found that there are books for me. The online book blogging community is really awesome about sharing books and their opinions on them. A lot of reviews have really helpd me discern what kind of books I want to read. I’m catching up on the years where I didn’t read and now my TBR list is growing exponentially.
- I walk into used bookstores and thrift shops more often. This has really been a problem for me because my bookshelf is overflowing. But I’ve found the joy of reading, so it’s really hard not to peruse through books.
- When in bookstores, I browse more sections. I still go straight to the manga section, but I also go into the young adult section, the mystery section and foreign language section. This goes to show how I’ve broaden my reading horizon.
- I’m more careful with how I handle my books. I don’t snack while I read. No dog ears or writing on pages. At home, I read hardcover books with the dust jacket on. When traveling with a book, I take the dust jacket off (for hardcovers) and keep the books in my laptop case before putting it in my bag (reason: I’m very careless with my bag and books have been damaged while inside.)
- I still hate breaking the spine on books. Some things never change.
What about you? Have you noticed any reading habits and bookish quirks after you started blogging? What kind of habits or quirks do you have?
Want to read more book-related discussions? Check out Let’s Discuss!